Welcome to A Few Quiet Yarns Wellington 2020!
AFQY returns to the Capital, to Wellygood and we're grateful to have a chance too considering 2020. The Tech industry can get together for A Few Quiet Yarns in Wellington at The Green Man Pub - tickets can be refunded if Lockdown 3.0 happens so get your ticket now in anticipation of a great event!
The aim is you don't ask "What do you do?" until it reappears naturally in conversation or until the 3rd question - as we all work in the tech industry, we know thats the fall back and that we we will "meet the suit/title/role" which naturally causes a judgement - hence "meet the person before their suit" is how we roll, and how we encourage you to roll if you attend AFQY.
This event presents the opportunity for all good people to form a social or personal relationship where you can understand the 'cut of a person's jib'. No one wants to be hawked widgets, they want to have intelligent and fun discussions with good people - so come to have a yarn, there is always plenty to talk about!
5.30pm: Doors open - ensure you bring your ticket to gain entry please - Find Ryan, scan your ticket- Event begins, Bar Tab is open
6.00pm: The Official Welcome and a few brief words from our Host Ryan the Lion and the sponsors first round of introductions for everyone in the room
7.00pm The Check in - Hands up who has met more than 5 people they didn't know before tonight?
7.30pm The closing round of introductions, tab closes an we revert to a cash bar.
- Ed Polaczuk from DUCO Consultancy
- Ryan 'The Lion' Ashton from AFQY Careers
- Kirsten Kelling from KaPura / The GreenMan
- "No Selling" (You can talk concepts, but not pricing and product names)
- "No giving your card out" (You can be asked after a yarn)
- "You can't ask what someone does til the 3rd question" (Find out about the person first)
- If you work in the Channel, and are not sponsoring, you need to bring an IT end-user (That isn't already attending). This balances attendance, respects sponsors and enable AQFY to remain open - also no more than 1 non-sponsoring channel from any org.
We employ the principles of gamification - break the rule, earn the consequence of being walked out with a "Red card" and equally good behaviour can earn you Life Membership